Help! How do I get my dog to focus on me and pay attention? Today I’m sharing the positive reinforcement “secrets” that make your dog prioritize you over environmental distractions. If you feel non-existent to your dog around other dogs, squirrels, cats, people, bicycles, etc. – but you’ve been taught to collar pop and say things like “leave it!” – I’m going to teach you to combine two of my proven, science-based games to inspire your dog to focus on you without you demanding it. No physical or verbal corrections needed.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- How to create desire in your dog to choose you over distractions.
- The tools to train canine attention.
- About one rescue dog’s complete transformation.
- How to get your dog to pay attention to you.
- What “old school” dog trainers teach about distractions.
- That focus is a reflection of priorities.
- How sustained focus happens.
- That strongly desired outcomes create laser focus; e.g. dog chasing squirrel.
- That nagging doesn’t create drive in humans or dogs.
- How to become your dog’s priority with engaging games.
- How to journal all of your dog’s priorities.
- Why recalling my puppy off bunnies is easy.
- Why we don’t bribe dog behavior but reinforce good choices.
- The importance of erasing habits that reward your dog away from you.
- That good focus habits begin with dog training games.
- The difference between inspired focus and forced focus.
- That good relationships require daily investment.
- The two games to play so your dog chooses you.
- How and when to combine Hand Targets and ItsYerChoice to overcome distractions.
Online Learning :
- Podcast Episode 238: Barking Dogs! Understanding Canine Vocalization To Prevent Nuisance Barking
- Podcast Episode 37: Dog Training as a Career
- Podcast Episode 205: The Hidden World Of Reinforcement For Dogs And Why You Need To Know
- Podcast Episode 228: Navigating Failure In Dog Training: What’s Your Plan B?
- Podcast Episode 147: Teach Your Dog To Listen Off Leash And Far Away
- Podcast Episode 152: Off Leash Listening Skills For Dogs Part 3: Training Steps
- Podcast Episode 24: Help for Dogs who Chase Chipmunks, Bicycles, and Neighbor’s Cats (Distraction Intensity Index) #24
- Podcast Episode 89: Why Dogs Should Not Tug: The Truth Revealed
- Podcast Episode 74: Yes, Susan Garrett’s Dogs Sniff On Walks
- YouTube Playlist: Target Training for Dogs with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 190: Using Daily Quickies To Fast Track Your Dog Training And Grow Your Dog’s Skills
- Blog Post: How to Use the Distraction Intensity Index to Help Your Dog
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube