Have you ever wondered why some dogs can walk down a path with their owner, encountering many dogs, but remain completely unfazed? Yet, other dogs see one single dog off in the distance and absolutely lose it. We’re talking about why this happens, the ability of dogs to regulate their emotions, and how we can help them. Plus, what you need to know about habituation and how dogs can grow the capacity to tune things out.
In the episode you'll hear:
- The stages of a dog's emotional regulation from reactivity to white noise.
- About deconditioning triggers from reactivity through habituation.
- If non-reactivity is possible for all dogs.
- The difference between inhibited biting and true aggression in dogs.
- That humans also have healthy and toxic ways of emotional self-soothing.
- Why expecting more of our dog's emotional intelligence than our own is unfair.
- 10 tips on helping your dog overcome stress and anxiety.
- Examples of dysregulation in dogs and why it's not the same as reactivity.
- To gauge expectations of your dog based on your own animal behavior education.
- How to be aware of your dog's communication via their behavior.
- How to co-regulate your dog's emotions in the heat of the moment.
- A plan to move from co-regulation to self-regulation.
- The reason why every sport dog I've owned has won a national championship.
- The key data to record during dysregulated episodes.
- How to teach your dog to make good choices.
- The roles of skill, will and environment in your dog's decision making.
Recallers and Home School the Dog:
Contact us at [email protected] with the subject line My Dog Needs Better Choices
- Podcast Episode 217: Understanding Emotional Regulation In Dogs To Create Calm
- Podcast Episode 218: Puppy Development Stages And Your Dog’s Behavior
- Podcast Episode 82: Resource Guarding in Puppies: When Your Puppy Biting Seems Aggressive
- Podcast Episode 29: Understanding and Preventing Reactivity and Aggression in Your Dog
- Podcast Episode 157: Dog Body Language: Understanding Canine Communication Signals And Emotions
- Podcast Episode 172: How To Teach Your Dog Anything With My Training Plan
- Podcast Episode 203: Reactive, Unmotivated and Fearful: Finding Resiliency For This! Beyond Dog Training Part 1
- Podcast Episode 204: Dog Behavior And Diet: Recovery For This! Beyond Dog Training Part 2
- YouTube Playlist: Exercising Your Dog's Body and Mind: Tips and Games with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 189: All The Things That Influence Your Dog’s Behavior And What Behavior Tells You
- Podcast Episode 191: Get Your Dog To Calm Down With This Common Sense Protocol For Relaxation
- Podcast Episode 200: Solve Your Dog’s Separation Anxiety With FRIDA: Expanding Calm With Functional Relaxation
- YouTube Playlist: Mastery of Positive Reinforcement Based Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 198: What Does “Positive Is Not Permissive” Really Mean In Dog Training?
- Podcast Episode 98: Puppy Home Alone: Are You Creating Chaos or Calm?
- Podcast Episode 71: Pro Dog Trainer’s Secret to Help Your Naughty Dog
- Podcast Episode 133: Become Your Own Dog Training Coach With This Video Strategy
- Podcast Episode 197: Outsmarting Distractions: How To Use Environmental Reinforcement in Dog Training
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube