My puppy, Prophet, turned four months old this week! At this point, Prophet knows nothing. What!? Now, my definition of ‘know’ is different. Although he doesn’t “know” much, Prophet recognizes many behaviors and several markers, and that’s the start of true understanding. I’m sharing exactly what my daily routine and puppy-training plan looks like and my top priorities for raising a confident, joyful dog.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- What goes into raising confident, joyful puppies.
- My definition of a dog truly knowing a behavior.
- The difference between a puppy recognizing cues vs. knowing cues.
- That when a dog knows the cue, they perform the behavior.
- My top priorities when raising a puppy.
- About teaching a dog or puppy to want what you want.
- My goal is environmental neutrality for my puppy.
- A day in the life of Susan Garrett and Prophet the Puppy.
- Two reasons to not walk puppies often.
- How I create a successful puppy training environment.
- About conditioning, shaping and target training for puppies.
- The importance of verbal override training for puppies.
- Why I always take a puppy to relieve themselves on leash.
- Podcast Episode 24: Help for Dogs who Chase Chipmunks, Bicycles, and Neighbor’s Cats(Distraction Intensity Index)
- YouTube Playlist: Puppy Essentials with Susan Garrett Dog Training
- Podcast Episode 90: Premack, Dog Training and Transfer of Value
- YouTube Playlist: Dog Agility Training and Dog Sport Tips with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 13: Naming Your Puppy or Dog
- Podcast Episode 147: Teach Your Dog To Listen Off Leash And Far Away
- YouTube Video: Understanding Your Dog's Reinforcement Zone (RZ) with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 180: Taking Your Puppy To A Café Or Restaurant: Socialization Success
- YouTube Playlist: Cooperative Care and Consent in Dog Training with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 107: Pedicure Please: 3 Steps To Dog Nail Trimming Or Grooming Success At Home!
- Podcast Episode 184: Proofing Vs Generalizing In Dog Training To Grow Skills And Confidence
- Podcast Episode 242: Help! Why Won’t My Dog Pay Attention? (Secrets Of Focus)
- YouTube Playlist: Crate Games and Crate Training for Puppies and Dogs with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 48: Potty Train Your Puppy in a Week (Easy 3 Step Process)
- Podcast Episode 166: Puppy Freedom: How Much Is Too Much?
- YouTube Video: DIY Puppy Bombs: Easy & Affordable Enrichment Toy for Puppies
- Podcast Episode 239: Barking Dogs! How To Help Your Dog Be Quiet And Stop Annoying Barking
- Nina Ottosson Food Puzzles
- YouTube Playlist: Dog Training Games with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 87: Canine Fitness: Why ALL Dogs Need It And 3 Easy Exercises To Start
- YouTube Playlist: Target Training for Dog with Susan Garrett
- YouTube Playlist: Sit, Down, Stand, Stay! Dog Training Duration Behaviors with Susan Garrett
- Podcast Episode 151: How Location Specific Reinforcement Markers Will Improve Your Dog Training!
- YouTube Playlist: Loose Leash Walking with Susan Garrett
- *Squeeze Tubes
- *Toppl Dog Toy
- Podcast Episode 181: Training Multiple Dogs To Wait Turns And Relax
- Podcast Episode 6: The Art of Manipulation
- Podcast Episode 171: Dog Training With Layered Shaping: Why Classical Conditioning Must Come First
- *Silicone Textured Coaster Targets
- Podcast Episode 155: 10 Ways To Teach A Sit WITHOUT A Food Lure! Unreal Results For Puppies And Dogs Of All Ages
- Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube
*Amazon Links Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Susan only recommends products she uses herself, and all opinions expressed here are her own. The link above is an affiliate link that, at no additional cost to you, we may earn a small commission if you decide to buy from it. Thank you!